1855 – Kent County Agricultural Society purchased 40 acres south of Hall Street and dedicated the area for a fair-ground.
December 1867 – The Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad opened service between Bridge Street in Grand Rapids, Michigan to Cedar Springs, Michigan— A total of 20 miles
1880s – 1530 Madison (originally 855 Madison) is built as a lumber yard —taking up two whole city blocks. The building was originally owned.
The lumber yard leased to L.M Spears, who became an influential figure in naming and creating the Madison Square Neighborhood. He names his lumber yard C.A Spears & Son Lumber Company
1883 – The Great Log jam involved over one hundred and fifty million feet of logs blocking all passage on the Grand River.
1880s – Madison Square introduces the first outlying shopping center & begins to emerge as a full-fledged neighborhood.
1918 – C.A Spears & Son changes it s name to Spears Lumber Co., INC.
December 1920 – Spears Lumber Co., INC. Is featured in the American Lumberman journal as one of the excellent Lumber companies in Michigan.
July 1967 – In the light of the Detroit riots, hundreds came out to protest Grand Rapids police unjustly arresting several black men – resulting in the Grand Rapids Race Riots
1974 – Spears Lumber Co. , INC. celebrates its new Showroom.
1980s – Spears Lumber Co. , INC. Closes its doors and Sells its location to Midwest Bumper.
2005 – Midwest bumper leaves property and the space becomes vacant.
2010 – Building is sold to ARMIC—a company that designed and built Aviation parts.
March 2010 – Bethany’s Youth Services Department and Building Bridges jointly develop first concept paper for a youth center.
October 2012 – Staff and Students from Building Bridges and Bethany hold their first prayer meeting in Madison Square Neighborhood
2013 – Bethany ‘s youth Services started conversations with the Kent County Land Bank Authority about 1515 Madison Ave (the building across the street).
April 2013 – Submission of the building plan to Bethany’s Michigan Board.
June 2014 – Met with Mike Otis of Double O Supply & Craftsman, INC who was looking for partner organizations to share 1530 Madison with.
December 2014 – ARMIC Sells Building to Double O.
Bethany youth department and Building Bridges begin renovations
April 2015 – Staff from Building Bridges Professional Services and Bethany’s Youth Services Department moved into the building
July 2015 – Decision to name the partnership The Grand Rapids Center for Community Transformation to better reflect Our mission.
Staff from Building Bridges Professional Services and Bethany’s Youth Services Department moved into the building.
October 2015 – Grand Rapids Center for Community Transformation Grand Opening.